Reasons I think going the agent/big publisher route might not be for me ...
- Time ... it's sorta limited ... like a LOT! And I'm not sure how well I would do being bound by contracts and deadlines and all that fun stuff!
- I'm not really looking to make gobs of money. I write because I love it. And I want people to read my stuff. BUT, I mean, it'd be nice to make a wee bit of money. Wouldn't it?
- I'm a control freak (I'm pretty sure you guys didn't know that already) and I don't know how I'd do answering to agents and editors and publishers. I like things my way dammit!
- I've already got a really decent platform, as my website has really taken off. So the marketing efforts will be needed, but it would be slightly less than if I had no platform at all.
- I don't know that any agent/editor/publisher would really "get" my book. I feel super passionate about it because it relates closely to my life, I'm not sure the every day mentally healthy person would get that. And furthermore, the thought of someone tearing it apart to make it "sellable" (new word...made it up myself) just makes my stomach churn.
So I know this is a VERY controversial subject, one that people have MANY opinions on ... but I'd LOVE to hear all those controversial opinions. Really! Tell me TELL me TELL ME! NOW!
Sorry for the over dramaticness there. Just really in a loop about this right now :)