Jun 28, 2010

How come they don't have Summer Reading Programs for Adults?

After I read for 20 minutes I totally think I deserve a sticker too!!!! Though if I did get a sticker every time I read 20 minutes I'd probably be covered from head to toe in stickers.

But still!

It's that time of year when all my favorite TV shows are on rerun mode and my nights are reserved for reading. Lots and Lots of reading!

So far this year I have read 23 books.

I want to double this by the end of the summer. I've read one so far. So um....I'm almost there...

Here is what's on my night stand:

Will Grayson Will Grayson (almost done with this one)
The Uglies
The Everafter
Handcuffs
Barry Trotter (The unauthorized Harry Potter Parody)(and actually this one somehow made it's way to the floor. Oops)
The Shack
Shadowed Summer

I also have a slew of research books for my next novel, but I'm not going to count them in. Since I'm mostly skimming through the parts I find important.

So I have these books On Hold at the Library:

Glass House
Insatiable
Tricks
Burned

I'm waiting for these books to come out:

Linger
Mockingjay
Torment
Paranormalcy
Fallout

AND Crescendo, but that doesn't come out till October, so I can't count it. Sigh....

On my to be read list are:

Holes
Catcher in the Rye
When you Reach Me

So that's only 19 Books. I need 4 More!!!

Any Suggestions? Do you wish they had a summer reading program for adults? What do you think they should give away as prizes? Wine? Chocolate? B&N Gift Cards? (swoon!)

What is on your summer reading list?

11 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

No doubt. I'd sign up!

I never think to write down the books I read. I really should, though. I really should.

I just got and started reading a Jennifer Weiner book (Best Friends Forever), because she's an author on my list of those I have to read. I'd never checked out her style, so it was time.

Faith said...

The Cabinet of Wonders - Marie Rutkoski

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

Eyes Like Stars - Lisa Manchez

Dreamdark: Blackbringer - Laini Taylor

Soulless - Gail Carriger

Shadow Bound - Erin Kellison

Anything by Diana Wynne Jones (recently LOVED 'The Lives of Christopher Chant')

Heartless - Anne Spengl

...seriously, I could do this all day... LOL...

Heather said...

I just read and loved How to Say Goodbye in Robot, and up soon is The Sky is Everywhere. After that, who knows?

But I definitely think there should be a summer reading program for adults! Since I'm a creepster who hangs out in the YA/MG sections of Borders a lot, I keep seeing that, "Read 20 books, get one FREE!" poster, and I think, "I could read 20 books this summer!" (or however many it is.) Then I see that you have to be under 15 or something like that. Lame. And I would totally read their suggested books, too.

Jessica M. said...

I see some similar titles to my reading list! ;) I just finished "Handcuffs"....considering what you emailed me yesterday, I think you'll like it. Especially realistic characters, character driven plot about a teen girl. It was good and I finished it in two days LOL

I can't decide which book to pick up next.

As for suggestions, I liked "Everlost" and "Everwild" as well as "The Forest of Hands and Teeth"...I have "The Dead Tossed Waves" that I still have to read, which is the companion novel.

If you haven't read it yet, "The Book of Lost Things" is one of my faves.

Jessica M. said...

OH, if you haven't read "Unwind" yet, you really really should. Also, if you read "Holes" you should read "Small Steps" afterward. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You MUST read The Underneath by Kathi Appelt! And the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan and the Gone series by Michael Grant and... Ha ha. :-)

Lydia Kang said...

My list is long so I'll tell you what's at the top. Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Life as we knew it by Susan Pfeffer.
Good luck with your list!

CMOM Productions said...

Around here they have a Winter book club for adults. I've posted about it on my blog and I loved it! I think that the assumption is that we must be incredibly busy during the Summer months, while in the Winter it's too cold (in Michigan) to go anywhere.

My book list is still growing... I recently read "Agnes and the Hitman" by Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer. It was a somewhat random pick. If you want an easy & fun read, check it out.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've joined the blogging world I haven't picked up a book in months, I kind of miss it, but I can't seem to tear myself from my computer.

But for chocolate, I'll do my 20 minutes easy!

Steff said...

I work at a public library and we have a summer reading program! It's awesome. We give away coupons for a free flatbread pizza and brand new books with a drawing at the end of summer for various gift cards. it's pretty killer. You definitely need to read

Flash Burnout--L K Madigan
Hold Still--Nina LaCour
The Book Thief--Markus Zusak

Keri said...

Wow, that's a lot. Holes is awesome. You'll simply inhale that book. I have a 'Books to Read' journal (http://www.amazon.com/Books-Check-Out-Imagineering-Company/dp/0811829863/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266180669&sr=8-1) where I write down all the books I want to read and then cross them out when I'm done with a star rating next to them. That makes me feel like I've accomplished something. =)