Nov 9, 2009

Over compensating for something?

So there is a little something you might not know about me...

I'm a little competitive.

What? Don't you look at me like that...

Fine! (And yes I pressed down very hard on the keys when I wrote 'Fine' ... I hope you felt it too!)

I'm a LOT competitive.

There. Happy?

I like to win. No actually I love to win. I'm not sure why I am this way. Maybe it's the need to prove that although I'm little I can still be awesome. Maybe it's just the need to feel like a winner. Maybe I like the smell of victory (although I have a feeling victory kinda smells like schwetty socks so I'm pretty sure that's not the case.)

I even decided to take NaNo from a competitive perspective. Visit my website if you are interested to read about it.

I can't help it. I take everything from a competitive view.

"Oh you want to play tennis? Are you any good? No. Sweet let's go get our rackets!"

"Karaoke Revolution American Idol style? Bring it ONNNNN!"

"Bejeweled Blitz? Don't mind if I do!"

You get the point.

My question to you is ... do you think an overdose of competition is healthy? Do you think it fuels your creativity and keeps you at the point where you are always the best you can be?

I think competition is healthy to a point. I suppose it all depends on how you handle the defeat. If you can deal with not always being the winner...Compete away. If you can't ... still compete, but work on your losing skills. It's ok to not win all the time. (I'm still working on this phrase...just a little...I swear!)

10 comments:

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Haha! I understand! I'm very competitive too. Ironically, people who've only known me a few years don't know that because I've managed to stamp it down. If not, it gets out of control. So I just compete against myself now. It's still fun!

Have a great day!

Foursons said...

I hate competition because of my need to win. I'd rather not play just because the competition part of the game sucks so badly.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

My husband and son are uber-competitive. Me, not so much. But I'm very Type-A and get irritated with myself often...maybe I'm more competitive with myself than with others. If that makes any sense at all.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jessica Nelson said...

I think competitive is good to a certain point. I'm competitive too. :-) A game's just no fun if there can't be a winner. *snicker*

CMOM Productions said...

I completely understand the need to "prove yourself" when you are tiny. :) Competition is good if it doesn't go too far!

Katie Ganshert said...

Oh, I am most definitely competitive! I was an athlete in high school, and a very competitive one at that. I think for my writing, I've transfered my competitive streak from outward to inward. Now I mainly compete with myself by continually trying to improve and out do myself. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes it's a wee bit overboard!

Jill Kemerer said...

Hey, competition/ambition, both are necessary to succeed in life! Good luck with your NaNo progress!

Hilabeans said...

Competition drives betterment. I'm all for it.

No apologies - just keep rockin' it, girl! :)

hhs

Natalie said...

I think competition is almost always a good thing. Anything that drives you to do better is positive in my opinion. Keep competing! (and winning!)

~Laura said...

I think competition is a good thing. Bring it on!