Apr 1, 2009

The Sky is Falling!


It's the first book I remember writing and publishing...

I was in the 5th or 6th grade. I wrote the book with such thought and care. Putting detail into every scene. I illustrated the entire book, page by page, meticulously coloring in every object with my Crayola colored pencils. Our school computer lab had a publishing department. It was my first experience with binding and finishing, but definitely not my last. I got much experience with binding and finishing at Copy Max in my late teen years. It seems I have been working up to this moment my entire life! Technically I've been a published author since I was 10.



(UPDATE!!!) A Change By the Sky
Written and Illustrated by Mary(Insert Maiden Name here)

I knew after writing that book, I was born to be an author. I never really stopped after that. Straight A's on almost every essay I ever wrote. I began journaling at the age of 11 and continued on till I was 22, when I took a brief 5 year hiatus. Then, in August of 2008, I picked up the pen again. I started journaling once more. I enjoyed reading my words over and over, impressed by the way I gracefully worded each event in my life. It was at that point I remembered, I was born to be an author.

Here I am now, April 1st, 2009, editing my first novel. Pushing myself beyond all boundries to perfect each chapter, paragraph, sentence, word. I do not doubt that I will eventually be published. I know it sounds conceded and I may possibly be setting myself up for some large disapointments. But in my heart, I know it will happen, one way or another.

When was it for you? What was your first experience with writing? When did you KNOW you were born to be an author? Or better yet friends, when did you KNOW you were meant to do what you dream to do? Whether it be an accountant, a writer or even a stay at home mother. How did you just KNOW it was what you were put on this earth for?

6 comments:

Tana said...

Oh gosh perhaps 10th grade. I knew before but it was then I committed. :)

Unknown said...

Well that was a good 12 years before I committed to it. But hey, the dream was ALWAYS there!!!

Traci said...

Priceless! LOL I have always dabbled in writing, but I didn't write a novel until a little over a year ago. :-)

Jody Hedlund said...

As soon as I could write, I would fill notebooks with fairy tale stories, the princess gets saved by the prince type!

But of course all of the college classes on writing I took zapped the love of writing right out of me. So I got a degree in something else and worked at a job I didn't like. And finally realized again that I wanted to write more than anything. My writing journey has had lots of twists and turns and stops. But I've never stopped loving writing!

Jessica Nelson said...

This sounds a lot like me. Most of my writing urges were fulfilled with my diary starting in second grade, but I did write and illustrate my first book as a class project in sixth grade. In seventh I wrote a short suspense story, then worked my way up to writing a romantic suspense in a notebook. LOL I still have that smudged penciled story.
Now here we are, working towards a career. I love it. :-)

Crystal said...

I've been told quite often that I have a "way with words" after posting a journal entry on Trenton's web page. Mostly medical crap that I've picked up over the last few years...I think people say that cause they don't have a CLUE what I am talking about :P