Apr 28, 2009

Why say "NO" when you can SING it to me!

So, while in a hurry, I'm getting the kids ready to head out for school this morning. Like usual, they are taking there sweet @$$ time. For some absurd reason, children find it impossible to get ready at a normal human pace. They seem to find it extremely entertaining to instead move in slow motion. So I say to my youngest son, "Please put on your socks!"

Instead of saying "Ok mom, I'd love to!", he SINGS to me "No, I don't waaaannnnt tooooo!" (On perfect pitch I might add. Kinda surprised the other two didn't join in for perfect 3 part harmony!) I mean seriously. Why just say the word "No" when you can sing it! Right?!?!?

Well I can't just answer back in boring monotone mom voice, what kind of mother would I be to not indulge this newly forming Musical? (I'm picturing Larry the Cucumber singing "But it's a MUUUUSSSICCCALLL" I love Veggie Tales) So I SING back, "I wasn't asskkkiiiiinnnngggg, I was telllllinnnnggg....so DO IT!" (Also in perfect pitch, but somewhat disappointed my hubby didn't back me up for the perfect mother/father duet.)

He then looks at me, grabs his socks, walks over to the couch, LAYS DOWN ON IT, and holds the socks up in the air, waiving them back and forth like a little white surrender flag, singing back. "YOOOOOOUUUUU do it!" At this point, I'm singing MANY things in my head, but I cautiously push these unmommylike words aside, end the musical with my eyebrow up in the air, and put on his freaking socks! 4 year old - 1 point, Mommy - NONE! Sigh.... (I hate it when we are in a hurry...I would have loved nothing more than to put those socks on his hands and walk away! Next time....oh just wait little 4 year old...the point will be MINE!!!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

my kids would say "no mama, don't sing...."
serves them right that they don't know nursery rhymes!!!!

Unknown said...

I love a good laugh in the morning...thanks!

Jessica Nelson said...

EEK! That is too cute! It must be a singing week because the other night instead of reading a book to my kids I sang it. My cracking voice amused them to no end. LOL
What a good mommy you are!

Jenny Penny said...

Since nobody in our house has perfect pitch (or anything approaching it), our "musical" would sound very modal, or maybe like bad jazz. I admit I've tried to sing commands to make them seem more fun, but my daughter covers her ears and tells me I sound like some bug from Miss Spider that can't sing very well...

Traci said...

Too funny!!! LOL

Katie Ganshert said...

Now you said you loved the title of my blog. I love the title of your blog! Who doesn't want to be like Mary Poppins? She's practically perfect in every way. ;)

Unknown said...

Exactly...and I'm definitely one of those poor souls who is always searching for perfection!